Texas Municipal Library Director’s Association
Meeting Minutes
Business Meeting at TLA Annual Assembly
Wednesday, July 8, 2015 – 2:30 PM
Hyatt Regency, Austin, TX

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order by President-Elect Waynette Ditto at 2:30 PM.  Members signed in and introduced themselves.  Members present were Cathy Ziegler-Plano, Jana Prock-Keller, Mary Perroni-Friendswood, Barbara Thompson-Haslet, Waynette Ditto-Hewitt, Mary Cohrs-Bellaire, Shelley Holley-Frisco, Darrell Cook-Richardson, Vicki Chiavettta-Coppell, David Thrash-Angleton, Janet Bailey-Abilene, Russell Keelin-Hillsboro, Jane Darling-Coppell, Lisa Youngblood-Harker Heights, Dawn Rapoza-McAllen and Kate Horan-McAllen.  Raquel Williams with Houston Community College attended representing the Library Support Staff Round Table.

The minutes from the April 16, 2015 meeting at TLA Annual Conference were presented.  Cathy Ziegler moved with Vicki Chiavetta seconding to accept the minutes as submitted.  The motion passed.

The financial statement had been emailed to the executive board in March.  Waynette reported that the balance was $5,139.14 through the end of May.  This does include the booth expense of $800.00.

Old Business

  1. TML Booth – September 22-25 – Mary Cohrs reported that the booth had been booked at essentially a discounted cost thanks to TML. There was discussion about the new flyer and the need to update the membership information that was recently changed.  Shelley asked that Maria provide her with language for that change.  Shelley Holley volunteered to bring trade show flyers and a 3D printer for demonstrations.  Those who have 3D printers were asked to bring examples of useful items that have been printed.  Mary Cohrs will take care of bringing the giveaways and as there will be a printer the booth will require electricity.  Mary Cohrs asked if members attending without registering for conference let her know and she will get them an exhibitor badge to work in the booth.  She will send out a schedule to sign up at specific times.  There was discussion about finding a larger screen for the slide show.  Cathy Z. will provide the existing slide show to Waynette who will update the photos.  Members were asked to send their photos to Waynette.
  2. 2015 TML Conference Program update – (1) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Citizen Engagement through Social Media and (2) Libraries as Engines for Workforce Development. Both programs have been submitted to TML and tentatively scheduled.
  3. 2016 TLA Program Update – April 19-22 in Houston – Information on this program will be updated at the TML Conference as Sharon was not at the meeting.
  4. Update on Membership Recruitment – Due to Kerry McGeath’s efforts there have been several new memberships in the last few months.
  5. Update on revision of logo – There was discussion about the best way to achieve this with some members satisfied with the current logo and others wishing it to be updated. It was decided that prior to submitting a request to a graphic designer for a new/updated logo, a committee should decide on a criteria for the logo.  The committee will consist of Shelley Holley, Lisa Youngblood, David Thrash and Kate Horan.  For the upcoming conference it was decided to print minimal flyers in case the logo is changed.  David made a motion to spend up to $400 for the TMLDA flyer, Mary Cohrs seconded and the motion passed.
  6. TMLDA Excellence Award – The award information is on the website. There was discussion about the proposed Library of the Year award.  It was decided that there should be categories based on population.  These categories were tentatively suggested to be: (1) up to 25,000, (2) 25,000 – 100,000, and (3) Over 100,000.  Dyan Dunagan agreed to work with Shelley and Cathy on developing criteria for scoring the award.

New Business

  1. TML Board Report – Jana had attended the board meeting and received a volume on the outcomes of legislative issues. The general consensus was that this was a year of threats to local control and that while local control took some hits, it mostly survived.
  2. Discussion on TML Resolution Process – Cathy Ziegler provided the group with a copy of the proposed Legislative Platform for TMLDA. There were suggestion for minor changes to item 3 and 4.  Number 3 will now read “Support the pass through of library designated federal dollars to the State” and number 4 will be “Support a new legislative strategy to promote and strengthen broadband access across educational institutions, including public libraries.”  Shelley made a motion to accept the platform with the changes, which was seconded by Barbara Thompson.  The motion passed.
  3. Discussion on adding a listserv to the website – Jana reported that TML will host a listserv at an initial cost of $750 with an ongoing cost of $600 per year. Jana recommended that if the group does decide to have a listserv they use TML.  The item was then tabled for future discussion.
  4. Announcement of officers for 2015-2016 – Shelley Holley was elected as President-Elect, Kate Horan as Secretary and Mary Perroni as Treasurer.

Other Business & Adjournment

  1. There was no other business and no other items suggested for future agendas. The meeting was adjourned at 3:40 pm.

Texas Municipal Library Director’s Association
Meeting Minutes
Business Meeting at TLA Annual Conference
Thursday, April 16, 2015 – 12:00 PM
Austin Convention Center, Austin Suite, Level 3, Austin

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order by President Maria Redburn at 12:00 PM. Members signed in and introduced themselves.  Members present were Cathy Ziegler-Plano, Sharon Martin-University Park, Maria Redburn-Bedford, Jana Prock-Keller, Mary Perroni-Friendswood, Terri Gibbs-Denton, Rebecca Pool-Deer Park, Lori Grumet-Abilene, Barbara Thompson-Haslet, Waynette Ditto-Hewitt, Mary Cohrs-Bellaire, Rhea Lawson-Houston, Shelley Holley-Frisco, Kerry McGeath-DeSoto, and Kate Horan-McAllen.

The minutes from the October 3, 2014 meeting at the TML conference were presented.  Waynette Ditto moved with Kate Horan seconding to accept the minutes as submitted.  The motion passed.

The financial statement had been emailed to the executive board in March.  Maria reported that the balance was $5,920.77.  This figure does not include the TLA Annual Conference program expenses which are expected to be about $165.  Shelley made a motion to accept the financial report with Sharon seconding.  The motion passed.

Old Business

  1. TMLDA award, fee increase and non-member submissions – There was discussion about the possibility of raising the award fee from $55 to $70. There was also discussion about allowing non-member libraries to apply for the award as some TML member cities may have librarians who are not TMLDA members.  The cost for non-member applications should be greater than the membership fee plus application fee.  Kate moved with Cathy seconding to set the award application fee at $70 and the non-member application at $150.  The motion passed.  There was additional discussion about the possibility of having a Library of the Year award.  Shelley, Cathy, Lori and Waynette agreed to be on a committee to discuss the possible criteria for this award.
  2. TML Booth – September 22-25 – Maria had received an email from Lauren Grossman with TML offering a corner booth with a good location. Mary Cohrs had also been in contact with TML about booth selection.  There is an additional charge for a corner booth.  Maria and Mary will contact TML for clarification on this issue.  Mary Cohrs, Kate and Jana will discuss possible themes for the booth.  There were suggestions about the possibility of having a 3D printer displayed at the booth.

New Business

  1. Appointment of Nominating Committee – Jana Prock and Cathy Ziegler were appointed to the Nominating Committee as required by the TMLDA constitution. Candidates will be needed for the office of President Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and District Representative to TML.  The deadline for submission of candidates is the first of June,
  2. Appointment of Membership Drive Committee – Maria Redburn, Kerry McGeath and Kate Horan agreed to serve on this committee.
  3. Appointment of Logo Revision Committee – Kate Horan and Shelley Holley will discuss logo revision with their prospective staffs.
  4. Discussion and appointment of 2015 TML Programs – There are two possible programs for TML. The first would be a program on Social Media with Kate Horan and Shelley Holley.  Lori Grumet also recommended one of her employees as a possible panelist.  A second suggestion was for a program on the Library as an Economic Development Partner.  Kerry McGeath agreed to be a part of this program.  Terri Gibbs recommended one of her employees Kerry Montz as a possible panelist.
  5. Discussion and appointment of 2016 TLA Program Committee – Maria, Sharon and Waynette agreed to be on this committee.
  6. Discussion on adding a listserv to the website – This item was tabled.

Other Business

  1. Discussion was held regarding the creation of a Library of the Year Award that could be presented by TMLDA.  A committee was formed to investigate and develop criteria for such an award.  Committee members include Shelley Holley, Cathy Zieglar, Lori Grumet and Waynette Ditto.
  1. Items for future agenda Annual Assembly, July 7-10, 2015 Austin. Suggestions for the upcoming Annual Assembly agenda were Election of officers, 2015 TML conference booth and program and 2016 TLA conference program.  Maria will schedule the meeting through TLA for July.

Closing

The meeting was adjourned at 1:00 PM.

Texas Municipal Library Director’s Association
Meeting Minutes
Business Meeting at TML Conference
Friday, October 3, 2014 – 9:00 am
GRB Convention Center, Houston, TX

Welcome and Introductions

The meeting was called to order by President Cathy Ziegler at 9:10 am. Members signed in and were asked to introduce themselves.  Members present were Cathy Ziegler, Beth Scudder, Maria Redburn, Jana Prock, Mary Perroni, Lisa Youngblood, Waynette Ditto, Shelley Holley, Rebecca Pool, Toni Simmons, Mendell Morgan and Kate Horan.

Introductions of new officers were made.  Maria Redburn will be the new president, Waynette Ditto is the president-elect, Mary Perroni will remain as secretary and Paul Phelan will remain as treasurer.

The minutes from the July 10, 2014 meeting at the TLA conference were presented.  Maria Redburn moved with Beth Scudder seconding to accept the minutes as submitted.  The motion passed.

The financial statement through the end of July was presented.  Cathy reported that TML Conference expenses were not reflected in the statement.

Old Business

  1. TLA Program 2015 Program Update – Maria, Shelley and Kate are presenting a program for TLA entitled “Nuts & Bolts of Improving Efficiencies in Libraries.” The room has been booked, audiovisual equipment requested and the program will have a 1 hour time slot.  Cathy or Maria will contact TLA about a business meeting request for TMLDA.  The program is scheduled for Wednesday, April 15th at 1 pm.

New Business

  1. Discussion and Direction on proposed TMLDA Constitutional changes – Changes were made to the purpose of the organization and to the membership section. Beth Scudder moved with Jana Prock seconding to approve the presented changes to the TMLDA constitution.  The motion passed.
  2. Discussion and Direction on proposed TMLDA position paper – Cathy Ziegler presented a legislative platform for TMLDA to be sent to TML. Waynette moved with Shelley seconding to approve the proposed TMLDA position paper.  The motion passed.
  3. Director’s Report (Beth Scudder) – Beth reported that it was too late to make changes to the TML legislative platform to include libraries. Suggested changes may be made during the next two year budget cycle.  The budget priorities from Texas Library Association and the Texas State Library are available on their websites.  TML has sent out a one page document entitled “Texas Cities do the State’s Local Work” to share with elected officials and citizens.  This document is available on the TML website.  As several members said they had not received the document, it was suggested that they register on the TML website in order to receive communications.
  4. Reports from TML appointed Committee Members -TML Legislative Policy Committee on General Government (Cathy Ziegler) and TML Resolutions Committee (Mary Perroni) – Both Cathy and Mary reported that the process was very enlightening and they would encourage other members to participate if they have the opportunity.
  5. TML Booth September 30-October 3 – feedback and suggestions for the future – The general consensus was that the booth had gone well this year but there needed to be some kind of hook to bring attendees into the booth. We need to remember to bring information on the award to the booth.  Various suggestions were made for next year’s booth including “book bytes”, photos, and character costumes.  Having the vendor in the booth was fine but not as successful as hoped.  Some were concerned about the logistics of taking photos and emailing them to attendees.  Beth suggested that next year the volunteers be scheduled to work in the booth.  Lisa said that she would be happy to handle the scheduling next year.  TML 2015 will be in San Antonio September 22-25.  Shelley will send a PDF of the infographics handout to Maria for distribution to members.
  6. Updates on TMLDA Excellence in Libraries award – Cathy reminded everyone that the deadline for submittal is December 30th, 2014 and to not submit a binder larger than 3 inches thick. Multiple examples in each category are not required.  Libraries may also designate to whom the award should be sent and to whom the binder should be returned.
  7. The TMLDA sponsored presentation, The Power of Choice by LaShon Ross, will follow this meeting at 10:30 a.m. in Room 320.

Other Business

  1. There was discussion about trying to have the program and business meeting in San Antonio on Thursday instead of Friday. Maria will check into this.
  2. Items for future agenda – Items suggested were Booth & Schedule, Revision of logo, Membership drive, Appointment of nominating committee and discussion about changing the membership award fee as the current fee does not cover the cost of the plaque.

Closing

The meeting adjourned at 10:15 a.m.